The MAP Academy is a project of the Museum of Art & Photography (MAP), Bengaluru. Managed by a diverse group of researchers and editors working remotely from across India and beyond, it is a nonprofit, online platform that encourages new ways of engaging with the histories of art across the Indian Subcontinent, strengthening public access to knowledge while also introducing new resources and approaches towards existing and ongoing scholarship. We are driven by the belief that art history is inherently interdisciplinary, and that any sustained engagement with the subject must encourage a sense of respect and understanding for the social worlds, communities, practices and cultures from which it emerges.
How do we collect the information you provide?
We, at the MAP Academy, collect information from you to provide you with customised services, keep you updated on the activities and events we conduct and carry out the business of the organisation. You share your personal and non-personal information with us in a number of ways:
(1) Registration: When you register on our web pages for newsletters, courses or possible events, we may ask you for personal data such as your name, email address, occupation, gender, date of birth and phone number. In case you register for an online event, conference, talk or seminar we might record the event and publish the recording on our web pages and youtube page.
(2) Transactions: If you make a payment for any of our online courses or a ticketed event, we might ask you for debit/credit card details, information about the mode of payment and other data to help process the transaction.
(3) Email: Any message, material, business information, ideas, concepts, or other personal information sent will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary.
(4) Survey Forms: The information you provide on survey or feedback forms on the web pages is collected, stored and processed to improve our services. We might publish comments or feedback as testimonials during promotional activities.
(5) Third-Party: Third-Party is an individual or organisation that is not a part of the MAP umbrella. We sometimes run events or competitions with other companies and organisations where we might be given personal information about participants, guests and attendees. Our web pages might also contain links to other websites that have different privacy settings and may collect personal information differently. We take no responsibility in such cases and advice you to read their Privacy Policies.
(6) Social Media: Any views, comments or information on social media platforms and discussion forums such as but not restricted to Twitter, Instagram and Facebook relating to MAP Academy will be collected.
(8) Publicly available information: MAP Academy engages in several projects that require us to identify and engage with potential collaborators, sponsors and donors. In the course of this process, we might undertake research on individuals who are publicly known to be scholars, enthusiasts, practitioners and collectors, or who are known to have been involved with similar organisations. This may involve personal information such as name, email address, affiliation and other relevant data.
What kind of information do we collect from cookies?
With the objective of offering you the best possible experience with our organisation, improving our services and keeping you informed of the organisation’s activities we store and process a range of information about you. These may include, but are not limited to:
– Contact details (email ID, address, phone number etc.)
– Demographic information (gender, age, nationality etc.)
– Payment details and card details in the event of an online transaction
– Browsing patterns, preferences, analytics data from purchases, events attended, time spent on the web pages, content and resources accessed etc.
– The IP address from which you access our web pages
– The type of Plug-in and Plug-in version on the system
– The type of browser and operating system used to access our web pages
– Comments, feedback, questions, views and opinions
– Email correspondence
– Registration details
– Any other information entered on our web pages
How do we store this information?
We reserve the right to store, retain and process the information that we collect from you. Your data will not be sold or shared with any third-party companies or organisations. In addition to putting in place measures to ensure that your information is not lost, leaked, altered and used inappropriately, the number of people accessing your information within the organisation is very limited. Those handling personal information and other sensitive material are duty-bound to confidentiality and are adequately trained to manage your data. We regularly review data storing protocols and update our systems to prevent any breaches. In the event of a suspected breach in our systems, we will inform those affected and take appropriate and reasonable steps to rectify the situation.
How do we use this information?
We will process any information you provide to us for the following purposes:
(1) Operate, update and maintain our website
(2) Improve our services based on your feedback
(3) Customise our website, content and services to your needs and interests
(4) Improve our content based on the analytical data we collect
(5) Write and upload newer content based on your feedback and interests
(6) Send you emails with updates on events, seminars and screenings. You will have the option of opting out of such emails.
(7) Find and prevent fraud
(8) Respond to concerns and queries
(9) Create profiles for subscribers
(10) Occasionally share news, updates and promotions related to our offerings
Disclosure of information
What are your rights with respect to the information you provide?
MAP Academy values your privacy and is committed to protecting your rights with respect to your personal and non-personal information. You have the right to:
(1) Review your information: You can write to us asking to see a copy of the information we hold about you and review how we are using the information.
(2) Edit your information: In case of any changes to your information (change of address, email ID etc), please write to us so that we can keep our database up to date. You also have the right to correct any inaccuracies in our records.
(3) Request erasure: You can request us to remove your data from our records if you see no further need for us to retain such information. You can also object to us holding your data on grounds of how we process your information. However, please note that we might not be able to comply with your request in circumstances where we legally need to provide records. In such circumstances, we will write to you explaining why we cannot erase your data and address your concerns to the best of our ability.
(4) Object to processing: If you feel that our processing of your personal information infringes upon your fundamental rights and freedoms, you have the right to raise objections. In such a situation, we shall review our processes and engage with your concerns.
(5) Opt-out: You have the right to opt-out of emails and newsletters that we send to you about our events, content and services. To do so click on the unsubscribe link on the email or write to us directly. Please note that it may take us up to a month to process such requests. During this time, you may continue to receive emails from us. We also retain the right to keep records of our users who have opted out of email services and continue to use their personal information.
Children’s Privacy on the Web
MAP Academy seeks to make art education accessible across age groups. Some of our content may be of interest to individuals below the age of 18. We encourage parental guidance while accessing our web pages. We do not collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18. If we receive an email from a child we use it to only respond to their query or feedback. Such emails will not be recorded for our database and will not be used to store personal information.
Changes to Privacy Statement
If you have any concerns regarding the collection, use or storage of your personal or non-personal data or want to be unlisted from our emails, please feel free to write to our Data Protection Officer:
Name: Mr Ashwath Patil
Address: The Museum of Art & Photography
Sua House, 26/1 Kasturba Cross Road, Bengaluru 560001
Telephone no: +91 80 40535200